Who doesn’t like a German classic BMW r25/2 Steib sidecar, but liking is one thing and riding is another. Once you add a sidecar to a motorcycle it doesn’t ride like one, it’s a dangerous mix for amateurs.
To ride a motorcycle with attached sidecar you have to respect it’s steering technique and understand the unequal weight distribution.
This remarkably restored European classic was sent to us by Milan Stojanovic of Leskovac, Serbia. It’s not the first time we have featured Milan Stojanovic’s work; previously we featured a Custom BMW R75/5. Restoration and modification of classic BMW motorcycles is a hobby shared between Milan Stojanovic, his brother and his father.
We took it and completely restored it too. Then when we finished all the mechanical part’s, we had a serious discussion about the color of the bike. We didn’t want classic black because in those times everything was black, we agreed to make it a light color. Every screw on the bike is original RIBE (that is the name of factory who make screw’s for BMW), we even made sure every rubber part on the bike was Magura and Denfield. It took us all of 2 years to restore it in it’s original shape.”
Special thanks to Milan Stojanovic for sharing such a wonderful restoration with us!
- Internal Designation: 224/3
- Motor Type: Four-stroke single cylinder vertical
- Bore x Stroke: 68 x 68 mm (2.67 x 2.67 in)
- Displacement: 247 cc
- Max Power: 12 hp at 5,800 rpm
- Compression Ratio: 6.5 : 1
- Valves: OHV
- Carburation System: 1 x Bing type 1/22/44 or SAWE type K
- Engine Lubricating System: Forced feed lubrication
- Oil Pump: Gear pump
- Designation: 225/2
- Frame: Closed steel twin loop frame, welded
- Front wheel suspension: Telescopic fork
- Rear wheel suspension: Pushrod suspension
- Wheel rims: 3 x 19 deep bed 6 / 27 teeth (with sidecar 7 / 36)
- Tyres, Front: 3.25 x 19
- Tyres, Rear: 3.25 x 19
- Brakes, Front: Drum brake 160 mm / 6.29 in diameter
- Brakes, Rear: Drum brake 160 mm / 6.29 in diameter
- Clutch: Single plate, dry
- Number of Gears: 4
- Shifting: Foot switching (+ auxiliary manual switch on gearing block)
- Gearbox Ratios: 6.1 / 3.0 / 2.04 / 1.54
- Bevel/Crownwheel: 4.5 :1 (with sidecar 5.14 :1)